Annieorphans.com

Has anyone ever noticed how many of the girls seem to say "to-more-ow" and have a very closed vowel on "say, oh", and "stuck with a day"?? Marissa did this toward the end of the tour, and From what I could tell, Amanda did it from the beginning. I always thought that the closed-off vowel on "say, oh" never sounded half as good as an open vowel, and it made them sound like they were holding back.
Any thoughts?
here's a link to demonstrate what I mean: http://www.annieorphans.com/video/tomorrow-amanda-balon

Thanks!
~G

Views: 144

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

just wanted to clarify, this is nothing against the actresses, I respect them greatly. I'm simply just wondering.
I'm not sure why this happens. You'd think they would correct this. It seems like an easy enough thing to fix.
I've noticed this in MANY Annies. I have no clue what the root of it is though.

Another thing I have noticed is sliding on the second syllable of tomorrow. Amanda does it in the videos of her singing tomorrow at the Lisa Maille Fashion show thingy and at the WCOPA olympics performance thing, but I dont think she did whilst on tour. Madison did it when I saw her too. you can hear it in the video of her on here.
I've noticed several changes in the way the girls sing several of the songs, especially 'Smile' with a very hard "i" .. I like the way it sounds in that song, makes it more real as if they're real rag-a-muffins living in the slums of NY during the depression, gave the show a certain charm it didn't have before. Kids in those days certainly wouldn't enunciate the word "smile" like "smiiiiiiiiile". But, anyway getting back on topic, I think that the reason the girls are singing 'Tomorrow' with a closed vowel sound on "oh" and often the word "say" sounds like "sey", is because vocal instructors are coaching kids to belt this way in order to be able to get a powerful sound out show after show without hurting themselves + they're still enunciating the lyrics very well.
I noticed that Kristi Coombs occasionally said "damarrow", and Mary K. Lombardi said "toomoroo".
well i wanted to ask about that too. About the different pronounciations. I actually noticed the more "closed" vowels with Amanda and not Marissa, especially in maybe (which if i write it with the letter "é" we use in french, sounded like "méybe" (the "a" sounded like an "é")

but i thought it came from the accent. i thought they like come from other regions of the US and have different accents. could this be ?
it is interesting that you brought up the accent thing. i still stick to my original belief as to why the pronunciation has evolved the way it has...i know for a fact that singers (especially broadway style) are being taught these specific techniques, like holding the mouth wide when you say "Day" so it sounds like "Deeeeeey" in order to preserve the larynx when belting particularly for children who have to perform nightly, etc. But, my husband noticed a slight Irish brogue in Marissa's speech/singing which made perfect sense. i don't know if this is natural, but seems like it could be given her last name and possible inflections she may hear/have heard growing up. it's also very fitting for the character who is supposed to be a child of Irish immigrants, so i'm thinking she was either coached to sound this way for just the role of Annie or Mr. Charnin was more meticulous than ever when choosing his 'Annie' for the 30th anniversary Tour (which of course he was anyway).
My guess would be vocal coaches. Because when you look at each segments of tours (20th/30th/etc) they all pronounce it the same way within the tour, but not within the production as a whole. That's my best guess.

RSS

© 2022   Created by Julie Stevens.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service