Annieorphans.com

I saw the new "Annie" film and can't wait for the discussions to begin. As expected, the singing and dancing (if you could even call it that) was painful. The acting wasn't much better. My guess is that Cameron Diaz has been drunk at least once in her life, but you'd never know it from her overacting and "pretend" drunk performance. Jamie Foxx seems really uncomfortable with his character and with his singing. It's hard to watch. The kids are cute, but their living situation comes across as totally implausible. Quvenzhané Wallis tries her best, I'm sure, but she doesn't belong in a musical. The songs from the show are almost unrecognizable, which makes me sad.

Views: 2669

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Yes, it pretty much fell apart. The person (or people) who coordinated the deception weren't punished, either. Not much drama, if you ask me. I think I prefer Aileen Quinn dangling from a draw bridge.

I prefer Aileen Quinn dangling from a draw bridge.

Geez, what did Aileen ever do to you?  Oh you mean her Annie hanging from the drawbridge...

I need more caffeine. :-)

lol. I haven't seen it except the clips given here, but can't say this is "Annie" to me at all. QW does not  seem like Annie and she also does not strike me as the best actress for the part even in this film. The plot from what you others have mentioned seems thin, and some things too cute or contrived..

Eh, the plot of Annie is pretty contrived to begin with. Especially Act 2 of the stage version. But that's me, your mileage may vary. I haven't watched the film yet, but I can't gather from clips, trailers, etc. that the plot departs from the original in any substantive way -- including its contrivances. :)

QW certainly seems to have all the spunk and optimism required for the part in its other versions. Again, I'll have to wait to pass final judgment, but I'm looking forward to seeing what she does.

''I think I prefer Aileen Quinn dangling from a draw bridge.''

Hahaha! This has actually made my day and speaks volumes about the new movie. 

I saw it yesterday and even though it is not and will never be as good as the original to me, I enjoyed it. It was cute enough and the dry sarcasm made me laugh a bit.
I think Q Wallis (her name is impossible to spell) had the spunk that Annie should have, but I don't think she is "Annie". I feel like this is very loosely based in the play in the fact that it had some important aspects, but not all. Cameron Diaz is a great actress for comedic relief, but I think she was trying too hard to be Miss Hannigan, and I'm sorry, but she cannot sing. Rose Byrne is a perfect Grace in my opinion and I love that this Grace is not as timid (with Stacks) as she is in the play. Rose is now my favourite Grace with Ann Reinking close behind.
Jamie Foxx was mediocre as Stacks, but I could tell he either really didn't want to play the part or he didn't care enough to flesh the character out.
The foster kids were cute, but as pointed out before, the living situation was implausible. I do like that they were included in the storyline a but more (*SPOILER* going to the movies with Stacks and Annie, Annie talking to them about Stacks, etc). I also like how social media played a part in the climax of the film.
One thing I didn't get was (SPOILER) the part about Annie being illiterate. It was first completely thrown into the movie without any forewarning and also didn't make much sense. How would she be able to know what her note said and the excuse about "hiding it well in school" was weak and not well thought out.
All in all, it was a cute movie, but you have to forget it's Annie to enjoy it.

SPOILER

The illiteracy part bothered me too because it was so not believable.

But I really enjoyed the going to the restaurant every Friday and the relation with the restaurant owner, that was very sweet.

There are some very funny scenes in the new film, some a little too slapstick. 

One of the cutest is when Annie meets Stacks at a publicity photo shoot of them having dinner.  It has to do with chair positioning and Annie calling him out on exploiting her for publicity.

I laughed at the Stacks and the mashed potatoes scene, but on retrospect it seems rather cruel.

A huge problem for the film are unresolved plot holes. 

-Stacks saves Annie on the street and she runs away.  How did his people know who she was and where she lived?

-What actually happened to Annie's parents? (Unless I missed a couple lines of dialogue). The film ends with the fate of her folks up in the air.  If they are alive and came back, then they'd have been prosecuted for abandonment.

-What was the point of the helicopter ride, other than aerial shots of NYC?  I get that they explained it, but from a story point it was superfluous.

Haven't seen it yet, but maybe they avoided mentioning the fate of Annie's folks to leave room open for a sequel. I'm sure everyone here would be excited at a modern update of Annie Warbucks, right? Annie Stacks, coming Christmas 2016...

Kidding, kidding.

It has been stolen from Sony Pictures in an online hacking, and illegal files are out there. I'm waiting until it's in theaters to check it out.

I just noticed another nod to the original play. In the scene where Stacks takes Annie and the foster kids to the movies, the actors names are Andrea Alvin (first Broadway Annie and the theatre where it premiered) and Simon Goodspeed (the theatre Annie premiered before broadeay). I thought that was interesting.

See, I think that's fantastic! Between those, and Taylor's cameo, and who knows what else is in there, let alone all they've said in interviews, it sounds like the people who made this movie really know and like the originals (be it Broadway or 1982), and went out of their way to pay tribute to it even while updating it. I think that counts for a lot.

RSS

© 2021   Created by Julie Stevens.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service