Annieorphans.com

I saw the new "Annie" film and can't wait for the discussions to begin. As expected, the singing and dancing (if you could even call it that) was painful. The acting wasn't much better. My guess is that Cameron Diaz has been drunk at least once in her life, but you'd never know it from her overacting and "pretend" drunk performance. Jamie Foxx seems really uncomfortable with his character and with his singing. It's hard to watch. The kids are cute, but their living situation comes across as totally implausible. Quvenzhané Wallis tries her best, I'm sure, but she doesn't belong in a musical. The songs from the show are almost unrecognizable, which makes me sad.

Views: 2669

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

i have a question how does the Friendly Inspector scene play out is it before annie goes to the "smart house" or is it before hard knock life

Okay, I wasn't sure if I'd throw my opinion into the ring or not. But, I'm gonna give it a try. I always thought I was an Annie purist until the 2012 revival came out and found I could adjust to and even love some changes. Now, i am not gonna say that i loved this movie. But, I didn't hate it and I didn't even dislike it as much as I thought I would. With one caveat....I had to forget it was supposed to be "Annie".

There were only really a few places were I recognized it at all. "Hard Knock Life" was kinda cute, and at least i knew what it was supposed to be.  However i will say this as I did before....the music is horrid. Whether or not any of the cast can sing is anyone's guess, but they were not allowed to at any rate.I think it would have been a better movie if the singing was left out completely frankly.

The most cringe inducing songs were the ones with Cameron Diaz. (in fact the most cringe inducing scenes were the ones with Cameron Diaz, but i pretty much knew that going in). It was almost offensive to me that she was supposed to be Miss Hannigan. I would have preferred a totally different name. In fact leave Annie with her name and give the rest of the cast entirely different names.

Q was cute enough as Annie, the orphans were okay, the rest of the performances went from mediocre to awful.

I did enjoy parts of it, I have to admit. And I do actually feel that the main message and heart of the original is there. You may have to send out a search party to find it, but it's there. There are a lot of loose ends that you just have to kind of forget about if you want to stay sane.

I do think this is a good movie for a lot of kids (and adults) who never had an "Annie" they could relate to before. Both in ethnicity and time period. However, I am glad I did not spend even a penny to see it, nor even the energy to drive to a movie theater.

This die hard Annie fan gives it 2.5 stars out of 5. It worth seeing if you wanna see a cute kid movie that really only has one thing in common with the musical we all love....the name.

I just came to this topic to say I'm kinda disappointed - not with the film, because I haven't seen it yet. I tried watching it online, but my computer isn't working very well, so I gave up in the first 10 minutes. I was waiting to watch it at the movies, and I must confess I was super excited because it would be my first and only chance to see "Annie" on the big screen. 

The day it came out (about ten days ago), I grabbed the newspaper to see where the film was being shown. Three movie theaters only, and we have a lot more than that in my city. Nothing helped - the screenings were all at 2pm. There was a 11:50am screening, too. All too early and far away. I could go happily, but there was another problem - the worst of all: there are no subtitled copies. Not a single one. I asked my friend who lives in another city and she said the movie wasn't even being shown there. And she lives in a bigger city than I do, with a lot more movie theaters than we have here. They even dubbed the songs and the voices are TERRIBLE. Yes, in capital letters because they are terrible indeed. I can tell from the trailer. I'll have to wait till it comes out on dvd. And I will, patiently.

I know it must be no big deal for you guys, but I really needed to tell someone. And I know some will say I'm not missing anything good, but as I said before, it would have been my first Annie on the big screen. :) 

I liked the new Annie movie, but it was TERRIBLE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I hope it wins alot of Razzie Awards tonight! They totally ruined, mocked the Broadway etc show. 

I remember when the 1982 movie with Aileen Quinn as Annie came out. I really liked it. It was good, but not as good as the play. But I remember the critics hated it. They hated Aileen Quin as Annie. She won both a Golden Globe and a Razzie for her performance. I don't know why they hated her and the movie, but it did well, but I think it ruined Aileen Quinn's career. 

I don't know that Annie ruined Aileen's career. 

Her next movie didn't exactly set the world on fire.

The Frog Prince -8 parts can be found linked to this video

http://youtu.be/gaka6mpda4A

Hey all, I saw the new movie finally.  I saw it dubbed in Spanish here in Ecuador, so I cannot comment on the singing in English, other than some clips that I saw on Youtube.  From the affects on the voice, in English, it is hard to say if the actors can really sing or not.  In Spanish the voice affects were not as strong, but the appeal of the movie can not really come from the music, and that is a shame.  To me that was the mail attaction of the original show.  As I have shared here before, I was not much of a fan of the first two movies, and even less of this one.  My wife says that I am being overly critical, but for me, most of the charm of the original is sorely missing.  Quvenzhané is spunky and cute, but her relationship with Jamie Foxx seems strained and not at all natural.  Parts of the plot are contrived, but I will let you decide that for yourself.

Some have said that this is "Annie" for the 21st century, but must we assume that today's generation cannot appreciate a musical that takes place in another time with a historical context of its own?  That seems almost insulting to me.  My kids enjoyed seeing the play and 1982 movie and did not have trouble understanding that it took place during the Depression in the USA, even learning some history along the way.  I do not believe that everything has to be redone, reinvented, or updated to have appeal.  Hopefully this does not mean that we will need to endure updates of other classics such as "The Sound of Music" or "My Fair Lady," which also take place in times gone by.  May Hollywood kindly spare us!

What do the rest of you think?

Great post, Ned. I haven't seen the new movie, but I couldn't agree more about there being no need to 'update' classics.I always enjoyed the historical parts of Annie and found the lyrics of Hooverville etc to be very clever. I explained them to my kids- great learning opportunity. We do not need to spoon-feed our kids by isolating  their viewing completely to the 21st century or keeping them ignorant of historical facts.

Just the thought of an updated 'Sound of Music' is enough to give me nightmares!

Hahaha, Cecile....me too!!!

On the other hand, Sound of Music is based on a true story, and Annie is historical fiction. Granted, I wouldn't put it past someone to try and "update" Sound of Music all the same...

That said, just because this Annie is, by all accounts, a bad film, I think it is testament to the story that people want to update it for a contemporary context, recognizing that is not, at its core, *about* the Great Depression, but about timeless virtues like optimism, family, love over money, etc. 

RSS

© 2021   Created by Julie Stevens.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service