Annieorphans.com

Okay so in the song "Tomorrow," the lyrics are 'Tomorrow, tomorrow, I love ya, tomorrow, you're ALWAYS a day away.'

But in the president scene where they sing tomorrow, and throughout the 1982 movie they sing 'you're ONLY a day away.'

What was the point of changing always to only?

Only asking because it always bugged me not knowing.

Views: 5528

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Yes, but Marissa, there was a couscious action by Strousse et at to actually chance the words between the time Tomorrow is sung by Annie when she meets Sandy to the President's scene to the end of the show. Sure, you can sing it anyway you want, but when the show was written, it very clearly changed, and the original question was "why was that?" We have all weighed in on why we thought it was, but we would have to ask Martin Charnin, if we wanted to reaqlly know the answer, but I am quite sure it wasn't an oversite or a misprint. When they wrote the script the deliberately changed the lyrics.

Huh. Until I recently took my kids to ANNIE JR, I always thought it was "only a day away," every time. But, sure enough, it seems to be "always." Which I personally don't like as much, because if tomorrow is "always' a day away, you never get there, and Annie's optimism just seems like wishful thinking; whereas if it is "only" a day away, that's real reason to hope that tomorrow might just be better than today - i.e., as Annie herself says in the lead-in to the song, "If not today, well, then..." The "only" seems much better to me, but who am I to dispute the script?!

I'm still trying to figure out when "Stick out my chin" became "stick UP my chin"!  Marissa O'Donnell, as Annie, even corrects FDR on the 30th's anniversary album by interrupting him "Excuse me, sir, it's 'UP' my chin"

This song is such an icon that it seems strange that after 30 years, they suddenly change the lyrics...

The only and always - I just assumed that since they were both equally good adverbs, they kind of used one for the first Tomorrow and then "only" for the reprise.

As long as we're parsing minute lyric changes, here's another I was surprised to hear in the 30th anniversary recording: has Annie's line in "I Think I'm Gonna Like it Here" been "officially" changed from "I'm very glad to volunteer" to "I think I'm glad to volunteer," or is this just an understandable slip-up?

According to the Libretto Vocal book, on page 106, President Franklin Delano Roosevelt changes the lyric to "only" and it stays that way for everyone through the curtain calls. This is after he comes up with the "new deal" slogan. It is specially noted - this "always" to "only" switch.

RSS

© 2017   Created by Julie Stevens.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service